Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day Trip to Carlsbad Caverns

I took Monday off, and we took a 3-hour (each way) day trip to Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico. It was our first time there, and it was quite amazing! It was like Timpanogos Cave times 50. The cave was HUGE! We hiked down into the largest part of the cave, which was a total of about 2.5 miles (1 mile down and 1.5 miles once you were inside). We had a hard time getting our flash to work right inside the cave, so I'm including a couple of pics taken by other people to show you how cool it was. (The pic with the guy pointing shows the entrance - the tiny light.)






Also, here is a pic from the drive showing some oil wells of West Texas, for those of you who have never been here.


And, this will only be interesting to my family, but 10 years ago my dad, brothers, and I drove across the country together and ate at this dive of a restaurant in West Texas (after searching for a normal place for an hour and practically dying of starvation). We often reminisce about that experience; it was like stepping back in time about 50 years. (My dad thought it was so cool that real Texas ranchers were telling cattle roping stories.) The place has since been renamed and painted, but you can still see how ghetto it is. So, this is the old Cattleman's in Pecos, TX.


9 comments:

Justina Selim said...

That looks so fun! I'm jealous!

Shay said...

That cave looks amazing! I'd love to go see it someday. Did you eat at the place again, for old time's sake?

Ally said...

Shay - fortunately for our gastrointestinal systems, no. I can only imagine it would have been disgusting. :)

Ginger said...

Um hello? You were in New Mexico and you didn't even come see me? It was only nine more hours! Just kidding. I've heard about the wonders of the caverns. Someday we'll have to make a trip down there.

Ryan and Hailee said...

what a blast, and how pretty, I miss you guys!!

Brimaca said...

Love Carlsbad Caverns! I felt the same way when I went to KD's bbq. I had heard it was the best and was expecting a five star restaurant but the way it is is much better.

Chad said...

Looks fun!

The above comment refers to all the posts on your entire blog, not just this one...I believe I am sufficiently updated on the lives of Chris and Ally. You can also check out our blog if you are interested in knowing more than you want to about mine and Amy's life.

Amy said...

I love your guys' blog! I love the pictures of your new house. It is so fun to get a new house! Give us a call next time your in NC we have a spare bedroom if you get tired of the family ;) We would love to catch up with you guys!

Sarah said...

Hey Guys! We just went there too it was awesome. We cheated and took the elevator to lessen the walk. Wish we would have ran into you guys. I think we were there the weekend after. Sarah